Friday, November 16, 2007

My story... you know we all have one....

Anyone who has some sort of disease has a "my story". When most people see/read mine they will probably be like boo-hoo... because I'm one of the lucky ones where nothing too traumatic had happened to me.

When I was a junior at SU (go ORANGE) I was constantly having stomach problems and CONSTANTLY going to the bathroom. My regular Dr. was out of town and I went to his fill in (a man who for having all that education - just didn't seem too bright (neither here nor there)). He told me I had a virus - for 8 MONTHS. Finally, after several really embarrassing tests (some of which I will probably tell you about at another point) my original doctor brought me into his office and sat me down. He then said (and I quote), "Well, its not as benign as we had hoped."

Now sitting in a little room all alone as a 21 year old college kid and you hear the word benign - you start to sweat, shake, and you immediately - think your life is over because you have the big C.

And instead of the big C - he says you have Crohns Disease. Crohns Disease - what the heck is that is all I could think. Crohns Disease? Never heard of it - how bad can it be? Well come to find out - about three months after my official diagnosis (Aug 2000) - I would have the worst flair of my life on Christmas Eve/ Christmas Day 2000. I would lose 12 pounds (which when you only weigh 100 pounds to begin with is a slight problem) in two weeks. I would have to go to a completely liquid diet, take steroids and start a strict series of Remicade treatments (which by the way -still on today).

But now, I am happy to report I am generally living a rather normal, healthy life. I have to watch what I eat, drink, my stress levels, and sometimes I just don't feel great but I can honestly say - I'm glad it wasn't Cancer.

No comments: